Buttermilk pancakes cooked with fresh corn, leek, and bacon.
- 3 slices uncured bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 leek, thinly sliced with tough greens removed
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 cup pancake mix (we used Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Buttermilk Mix)
- 1 cup buttermilk or water
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or other neutral oil
- Avocado oil or cooking spray to grease the pan
- Fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Add the leek to the skillet, cooking until browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and jalapeno, and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together pancake mix, buttermilk, egg, and oil until just combined. Fold in the bacon and corn mixture.
- Wipe out the skillet and grease it with a little more avocado oil or cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles on the pan. Scoop out batter ¼ cup at a time onto the hot skillet. Cook pancakes 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with maple syrup, honey, or sour cream.
Makes about 10 pancakes
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods