- 1 lb ground chorizo
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked beans (black or pinto)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp mexican oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, brown chorizo over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until translucent. Add peppers and garlic, cook and stir for one minute, or until garlic is fragrant.
- Next, stir in tomatoes, beans, broth, and chili seasoning until fully combined.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve with cilantro and cotija cheese.
Refrigerate leftovers 3-4 days, or freeze up to 3 months.