Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
This appetizing dip is all plant-based, perfect for any party. Invite your friends to enjoy, regardless of dietary preferences, this dip’s a sure hit!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch salt
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp green onions, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil cashews in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. Allow to soak for 1 hour. Drain, reserving liquid.
- To a blender, add cashews, ½ cup of the reserved cashew liquid, the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, and pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. Taste, and adjust seasonings if desired. Chill until ready to use.
- Melt vegan butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and a sprinkle of salt, cook and stir until fragrant and translucent, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, cook for an additional minute. Reduce heat to medium low, stirring frequently until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Splash with a little water if onions begin to stick. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, mix together vegan sour cream, caramelized onions, vegan worcestershire, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions, parsley, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Taste, adjust seasoning if desired. Serve chilled with potato chips.