This Lemon Curd recipe features eggs, butter, honey and lemon. Lemon Curd is a form of egg custard used as a sweet topping for scones with a mildly tart flavor from the zest and juice of a lemon.
Lemon Curd Topping
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ⅔ cups lemon juice (fresh squeezed, about 3 lemons)
- In a small non-reactive pot (avoid copper, aluminum, and cast iron, unless it is enameled) combine honey, eggs, butter, and lemon zest. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until ingredients are smooth. About 4 minutes.
- Whisk in lemon juice. Continue cooking over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture just begins to bubble and thicken slightly. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly. Lemon curd will thicken as it cools. Refrigerate in an airtight glass jar.
- Serve on toast, scones, pancakes, yogurt, or right out of the jar. Also makes a great addition to cookies, tarts, and other baked goods. Enjoy!
See more great LifeSource Kitchen-Tested Recipes!
Vegan Lemon Curd Variation
- 4 large lemons
- 3 tbsp cornstarch or Arrowroot powder
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- Bring the lemon juice – except 1 tbsp – to boil in a medium pan.
- Blend 1 tbsp lemon juice, cornstarch, and sugar, into a blender, and mix for 30 seconds until smooth.
- When the lemon juice is boiling, add the contents of the blender and whisk well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and gently boil until the sugar is melted.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer – blending once in a while – for 3-5 mins, to ensure the cornstarch is appropriately cooked, and the lemon curd is smooth.
- Remove from the heat, and beat in the vegan butter.
Lemon curd can be refrigerated in a clean sealed container.