Our Scones recipe features all the traditional ingredients that make scones so simple and delicious.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup unrefined cane sugar
- 6 tbsp butter, softened to room temperature
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 Tbsp water for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together bread flour, baking soda, sea salt, ans cane sugar until combined.
- Beat butter into flour mixture until fully mixed, there should be no chunks.
- Stir in egg and cream until a shaggy, sticky dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 times, until the dough becomes reasonably smooth. Do not over-knead or your scones will be tough.
- Roll dough out about an inch thick. Using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out scones. Be careful not to twist the cutter, or you will pinch the edges of your circles and the scones won’t rise properly. Re-roll the scraps once or twice and cut out the remaining scones.
- Place scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm with Lemon Curd.