- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 8 tomatillos, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans (include liquid from can)
- One 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (include liquid from can)
- One 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes with chipotles (include liquid from can)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- A dash of your favorite hot sauce or smoked chipotle sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A hearty shake of garlic salt
- Toppings, such as sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese (such as a blend of white cheddar, smoked gouda, and smoked creamy jack), crushed tortilla chips, and fresh cilantro leaves.
- This is a great soup to start in the morning, so that you can enjoy your day without fretting about dinner while at work or out playing. When you arrive home, the house will be filled with delightful aromas. Prep your toppings, with the exception of the fresh avocado slices, that morning or the night before.
- Put all ingredients except toppings into the slow cooker, stirring everything together before adding the chicken. Place the lid on and set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours, or cook on high for about 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken after cooking time has ended. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir back into the soup. You may keep the soup on the warm setting or serve right away
- Add your toppings and enjoy!
Variations: Omit the chicken and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth to make this soup vegetarian. An option to amplify the protein is to pour the soup over brown rice, lending a nice texture and a bit of nuttiness. Feel free to adjust seasonings and omit the hot sauce for a milder soup.