Crispy Breaded Eggplant Medallions
Wondering what to do with those eggplants in your grocery bag?
Follow this recipe for a simple way to make crispy, panko-encrusted eggplant medallions in your oven. Top with marinara and cheese for a tasty meal.
- 1 medium eggplant
- Kosher salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Wash, peel, and slice eggplant into ½-inch thick rounds. Sprinkle each slice with salt on both sides. Sandwich between 2 clean folded dishcloths or paper towels to help draw off the excess moisture. Allow to sweat for 30-90 minutes. Rinse off the excess salt and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or foil.
- Mix panko with parmesan and Italian seasoning.
- Dip eggplant first in egg, then the breadcrumb mixture. For extra crunch, dip in egg and bread crumb mixture a second time. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle breaded eggplant with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip halfway through baking time.
- Spoon marinara onto eggplant. Sprinkle with mozzarella, and bake again for 15 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Enjoy!