- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- ½ to 1 cup additional unbleached white flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup jam or preserves
- ¼ cup milk, for brushing
- Cream together butter and cane sugar. Blend in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking soda. Dough will be very soft and sticky. Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- After dough is chilled, turn out onto a floured work surface. Knead in additional flour ¼ cup at a time until easy to work with. Divide dough into 4 pieces, flatten into thick discs and refrigerate for 2 hours, or pop in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Working with one disc of dough at a time, unwrap and roll out on a floured work surface until ⅛-inch thick. Using a glass or 3-inch cookie cutter, cut into circles. Re-roll scraps until all are used. If they become too soft to work with, place back in the freezer for 15 minutes. Place dough circles onto lined cookie sheet.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon jam onto each circle. Fold over, and use a fork to seal edges. Brush with a little milk.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden around the edges. Remove immediately from the hot pan to a cooling rack.