Raspberry Plum Galette
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp unbleached wheat flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup cold butter, chopped into cubes
- ¼ cup ice water
- Extra flour for rolling out
- 1 lb ripe plums or pluots, sliced
- 6 oz pkg raspberries
- 3 Tbsp cane sugar, or to taste, depending on sweetness of fruit
- 2 Tbsp raspberry preserves
- Whisk together 1 cup flour and salt. With a pastry cutter, blend in chilled butter until all flour is incorporated, with lumps being the size of small peas.
- Make a well in the center, and stir in ice water. A shaggy dough will form. Turn out dough onto a well floured surface.
- Pat into a rough square. With a rolling pin, roll into an approximate 12-inch rectangle. With a bench scraper, fold up the bottom third of dough toward the center. Fold top third down toward the bottom. (Like folding a letter to fit in an envelope.) give dough a quarter turn clockwise and repeat 7 or 8 times, adding a little more flour if it is too sticky to start with. Dough will become easier to work as you go. If your kitchen is warm and dough becomes too soft, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes between folding and rolling out.
- Wrap pastry tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before using in your recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, mix together fruit, 2 Tbsp flour, and sugar.
- Roll out dough to about 1/8-inch thick, and 10-12 inches in diameter. Place crust on a piece of parchment paper on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Using a slotted spoon, pile fruit mixture onto the center of the pastry, spreading out into an even layer, leaving a 2 or 3 inch border from the edge of the crust.
- Fold the edges of the dough over the fruit, pleating as you go, and pinching the folds gently to seal them. Place the galette on its baking sheet in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Remove from the freezer. Brush galette with egg wash. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Brush hot galette with preserves. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods