Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie is an excellent way to use up chicken and vegetable leftovers from other meals. Our recipe uses puff pastry for an easy crust!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 recipe puff pastry, or frozen puff pastry, thawed in the refrigerator
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups cooked leftover chicken
- 1 large leek, tough greens removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup dry white wine (or broth)
- 1 cup broth (mushroom, vegetable, or chicken broths all work well)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat (optional).
- In a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook the leeks until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add carrots and celery, cook for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Stir in fresh herbs, poultry seasoning, and flour. Cook and stir until flour is fully incorporated and has lost its raw smell, about 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine (or broth), scraping up any browned bits. Add 1 cup broth, parmesan cheese, peas, and corn. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Divide the filling into two 2 cup oven safe ramekins.
- Roll out the dough to ⅛-inch thick. Cut two circles approximately 1 inch wider than the ramekins, so the dough hangs over the side. You may also flute the edges if desired. Brush crust with egg wash.
- Place the ramekins on the prepared baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.