- 4 cups hot low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 leek, finely chopped, tough greens discarded
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ lb fresh asparagus, sliced, tough ends discarded
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup parmesan, shredded
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat broth in a medium pot to a low boil. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Melt butter in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Add leeks to the butter with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently until golden, about 5 minutes. Turn down the heat if they begin to brown too quickly. Add garlic and rice, cook for an additional minute.
- Add wine, cooking and stirring until absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Ladle in 1 cup of the hot broth, cooking and stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Continue stirring and adding broth ½ cup at a time, when the previous addition is absorbed. With the last addition of broth, add the sliced asparagus, continuing to cook and stir until broth is absorbed and the asparagus and rice is tender.
- Remove the risotto from heat, and stir in parsley, cheese, lemon juice, zest, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Makes about 4 servings