- 8 cups bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup butter or vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves, finely chopped
- ½ sprig rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¾-1 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Spread bread in a single layer on one or two rimmed baking sheets. Bake about 1 hour – 90 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes until bread is completely dried out. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13×9-inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and cook the onions and celery until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in fresh herbs, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Add broth and eggs to the bowl with the bread. Toss gently until coated. Bread should absorb liquid evenly, without leaving a puddle in the bowl. Add more broth for wetter stuffing, less broth for drier stuffing.
- Gently fold in veggie and herb mixture.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish. Spread into an even layer. Bake 30 minutes covered. Uncover, and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until stuffing is golden and cooked through.