- 1 lb green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, thinly sliced (fresh or pickled)
- ½ cup apple cider (or distilled white) vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp mexican oregano
- 1 ½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, carrots, onion, and jalapeños.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, water, mexican oregano, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour over the veggies and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
If you are in a time crunch, boil 3 cups of water and pour over the veggies before adding the vinegar mixture. Allow to steep 5 minutes, then drain all of the water. Add vinegar mixture, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes about 6 cups