Easy Puff Pastry
- 1 cup all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup butter, chopped into cubes (freeze for 30 minutes before using)
- ¼ cup ice water
- More flour for rolling out
- Whisk together 1 cup flour and salt. With a pastry cutter, blend in chilled butter until all flour is incorporated, with lumps being the size of small peas.
- Make a well in the center, and stir in ice water. A shaggy dough will form. Turn out dough onto a well floured surface.
- Pat into a rough square. With a rolling pin, roll into an approximate 12-inch rectangle. With a bench scraper, fold up the bottom third of dough toward the center. Fold top third down toward the bottom. (Like folding a letter to fit in an envelope.) give dough a quarter turn clockwise and repeat 7 or 8 times, adding a little flour if it is too sticky to start with. Dough will become easier to work as you go. If your kitchen is too warm and dough becomes too soft, place it in the freezer for 10 minutes between folding and rolling out.
- Wrap pastry tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before using in your recipe.