Title: Quince Galette
- 1 ¼ cup unbleached wheat flour
- 2 tsp evaporated cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup ice water
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 5 quince, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 10 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 bottle white wine, we used Destinos Spanish white blend
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
Put it all together
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced – We used Cox’s Orange Pippins
- ¼ cup poaching liquid
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 3 Tbsp unbleached wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅛ tsp clove
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water or ¼ cup heavy cream, if desired
- Sugar for sprinkling, if desired
- Make the crust. Whisk together flour, cane sugar, cinnamon, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with pea-sized pieces. Mix vinegar into ice water. Add the vinegar-water mixture to the flour mixture one tablespoon at a time, until dough gathers into a shaggy ball. Wrap with plastic wrap, and form into a thick disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Poach the quince. In a 6-qt Dutch oven, add quince, orange, honey, vanilla bean, cardamom, and cover with wine. Bring to a boil, and immediately reduce heat to low. Simmer covered until fruit is tender, about 1 to 2 hours. Drain fruit, reserving liquid. Remove vanilla, orange, and cardamom pods. Discard.
- Place poaching liquid in a small saucepan. Stir in ¼ cup turbinado sugar. Simmer until reduced and slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Put it all together. In a large glass bowl, toss together apples, poached quince, poaching liquid, and turbinado sugar. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix into apple mixture.
- On a piece of parchment, roll out crust into a 12-inch diameter circle. Move it to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Pile up fruit mixture in the center, leaving a 2-inch border of crust. Fold over the crust, leaving the center open. Brush with egg or cream, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake galette for 30-40 minutes, or until crust is browned, and filling is bubbly. Serve warm.