- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
- 2 pieces of fruit (apple, pear)
- 1 or 2 citrus fruit (oranges, mandarins)
- 2 sprigs sage or rosemary
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Cut the apple and pear in quarters removing core.
- Using paper towels, dry chicken thoroughly.
- Place the citrus fruit inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and season outside well with salt and black pepper.
- Place the chicken on a cast iron skillet surrounded by rosemary, apple and pear quarters.
- Place chicken in oven and bake until it begins to lightly brown (about 15 to 20 minutes.) Reduce heat to 350° F, and continue to cook until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, or until meat thermometer registers 180° F, about one hour to one hour and twenty minutes more (depending on size of bird).
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.