Vegan Spicy Tomato Sushi
- 4 large Roma Tomatoes
- 2 ½ tbsp. Tamari
- 1 tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil
- ½ tbsp. Kelp Powder
- ½ tbsp.Kelp Granules
- ⅛-¼ tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1-2 tbsp. Sriracha
- 1-2 tbsp. Vegan Mayo
- 1 2/3 cups Water
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Bring a small pot of water to a rapid boil. Have a large bowl of ice water ready. Lightly cross slice the tomatoes’ core with a knife (making it easy for skin removal) then drop them into the water. Boil the tomatoes just until the skin begins to appear peelable. Immediately transfer the tomatoes to the ice water to prevent them from cooking further. Remove skins.
- Cut the meaty flesh of the tomatoes into smaller sized cubes- resembling poke- and discard the wet seedy middle.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small container with a lid, and then add the tomato chunks. Lightly toss, and let marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Drain the marinated tomatoes with a mesh colander (depending on how moist you like it, you may want to let it sit and drain for longer.)
- Place tomato poke back into the container with sriracha and mayo, then toss again (depending on how moist it is, you may want to strain it once again).
- In a medium pot bring water to a boil
- While waiting on water to boil, combine vinegar, sugar and salt to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat stirring occasionally until sugar and salt are dissolved. Place in a jar or dish and cool in the fridge until rice is ready.
- Once water is boiling, add rice, lower heat to low & cover. Simmer until water is completely absorbed and rice is tender – about 18-25 minutes. Drain off any excess
- Turn the heat off, add the cooled vinegar mixture and stir with a rubber spatula or fork as to not overmix. It will appear wet but will dry up as you lightly stir to release heat. It should be sticky.
- Top rice with tomato poke or sashimi, avocado, cucumber, shredded rainbow carrots, green onions, sesame seeds, and nori.