Molasses, Apple Cider Vinegar, and Worcestershire form the flavor foundation of this Baked Beans Recipe
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 3 Tbsp + 2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cup water
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 cups ham, chopped
- Pick through beans, removing and discarding any broken or shriveled beans and foreign matter. Rinse well. Place in a large bowl and cover with 3 cup water for every cup of beans. Stir and remove any floating beans. Add 3 Tbsp kosher salt. Allow to soak overnight.
- Rinse soaked beans thoroughly. Place in a large heavy bottomed pot and cover with 2 or 3 inches of water and 2 tsp of kosher salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered until tender, about 90 minutes. Drain and rinse, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a 6 quart dutch oven or other large oven going pot, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onion until it starts to soften and becomes translucent. Add bell pepper and garlic. Cook and stir for an additional minute.
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, ½ cup water, molasses, vinegar, worcestershire, and mustard powder. Bring to a low boil. Fold in ham and beans, adding a little more water if needed.
- Cover and bake for one hour. Stir, and add an additional cup of water. Bake another 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days, or be frozen for up to 3 months.
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods