Try this black garlic seasoned tofu, and enjoy the delicious complexity of the seasonings as they coat the ingredients with an incredibly flavorful sauce. You’ll love this recipe prepared as a meal, or a side dish.
- 14 oz package sprouted tofu
- 1 head black garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- ½-inch fresh ginger root, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3-4 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup sugar snap or snow peas
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Press tofu to draw out water. Drain tofu and give it a quick rinse. Place a clean, folded kitchen towel on a plate. Put tofu on top of the towel, and place another clean, folded towel on top of the tofu. Place a small cutting board on top, and something heavy, such as a cast iron skillet or large cookbook on top of that. Allow to sit at least a half hour.
- While tofu is draining, make black garlic sauce. Add garlic, water, coconut aminos, vinegar, mirin, ginger, and pepper flakes to a blender. Blend until smooth, add a little more water if needed.
- Slice tofu into half inch thick squares.
- Heat oil in a well seasoned cast iron skillet, or non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook tofu until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- Saute carrots and peas until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add black garlic sauce to skillet, toss with tofu until evenly coated and heated through.
- Serve with carrots and peas. Sprinkle with green onions and season with salt and pepper.