Colcannon is an Irish dish consisting of mashed potatoes and greens. It is often a spring dish, featuring fresh winter and spring green vegetables.
Colcannon – Mashed Potatoes and Greens
- 1.5 lbs starchy potatoes (such as Russet or Yukon Gold), peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 leek (.5 lb), white and light green parts thinly sliced, rinsed, and patted dry
- ¼ cup butter or vegan butter
- ½ head (.5 lb) green or savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch (.25 lb) kale
- ½ cup whole milk, half-and-half, or unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover the potatoes and garlic in salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- While potatoes are boiling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring regularly, until they have softened and turned translucent.
- Add cabbage and kale to the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to stir regularly, until the greens are tender. Add milk and cook until just warm. Remove from heat.
- Pour the milk-cabbage mixture over the potatoes and mash thoroughly. Salt to taste.
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods