Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup unrefined cane sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 (48 oz pkg) Alden’s Strawberry Ice Cream (or your favorite flavor)
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended, about 1 minute. Stir in flour and cocoa mixture until no trace of flour is visible. Fold in chocolate chips. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, allowing flour to hydrate.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Spoon 1 ½ Tbsp portions of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving a few inches between each scoop for spread. Bake for 8-9 minutes, or until set. Cookies will be soft and cake like. Allow to cool on a rack completely.
- Freeze cooled cookies for 15 minutes before assembling sandwiches. While cookies are freezing, remove ice cream from the freezer and allow to soften slightly. Scoop about ¼-½ cup ice cream onto 1 cookie, place another on top, and press together gently. Enjoy immediately, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Makes 11-12 Ice Cream Sandwiches