Our Mushroom Galette recipe is a savory, free-form French pastry with fresh herbs, mushrooms, chard, onions, and bacon, topped with Gouda cheese.
- 1 1/4 cup organic unbleached wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped, divided
- 1 sprig fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 large leaves chard, stemmed and sliced
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup aged Gouda, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- Mix together flour, kosher salt, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, 1/4 cup Parmesan, half of the thyme leaves, and the sage. Using a pastry cutter, blend in cold butter until the dough gathers into small pea-sized clumps. Add the water vinegar mixture 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time until dough forms a ball. Gently form dough into a thick, even disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a medium skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Fry onions until translucent and beginning to soften. Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook until onions are deeply browned and caramelized. About 20 minutes.
- In a large skillet, fry bacon over medium heat until brown and crisp. Set bacon aside to drain. Discard most of the bacon fat, reserving 1 Tbsp to cook vegetables.
- Add shallot to skillet, sauté until translucent. Add garlic, cook and stir until fragrant. Add mushrooms, cooking until they begin to soften. Stir in chard, cover, and allow to steam until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. Drain water, and pat dry with a clean dishcloth or paper towels.
- Toss in bacon, onions, remaining fresh thyme, and season to taste with pepper.