- ¾ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated cane sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, placed in the freezer for 30 minutes (we used Miyoko’s)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix together cashew milk and apple cider vinegar to make vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut chilled butter into cubes. Add to flour mixture. Blend with a pastry cutter or fork until well incorporated, with clumps being about the size of small peas.
- Make a well in the center, pour in vegan buttermilk. Stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Pat into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough in half. Pat to about an inch thick again, fold in half, and give it a quarter turn. Repeat the folding, patting, and turning 5 more times.
- Pat dough out to 1-inch thick once more, and use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut into at least 6 biscuits. Gently gather up scraps and cut out a few more.
- Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they start to brown. (They will be a little pale.) Brush hot biscuits with melted butter.
Makes 6-9 biscuits