Vegan Biscuits And Gravy – All Plant-Based Breakfast
This Vegan Biscuits and Gravy recipe features Miyoko’s vegan butter, and your favorite plant-based breakfast sausage.
- ¾ cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp granulated cane sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, placed in the freezer for 30 minutes (we used Miyoko’s)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 pkg (7.5 oz) Lightlife Breakfast Sausage (or your favorite), crumbled
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- Pinch chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened cashew milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Mix together cashew milk and apple cider vinegar to make vegan buttermilk. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut chilled butter into cubes. Add to flour mixture. Blend with a pastry cutter or fork until well incorporated, with clumps being about the size of small peas.
- Make a well in the center, pour in vegan buttermilk. Stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Pat into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough in half. Pat to about an inch thick again, fold in half, and give it a quarter turn. Repeat the folding, patting, and turning 5 more times.
- Pat dough out to 1-inch thick once more, and use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut into at least 6 biscuits. Gently gather up scraps and cut out a few more.
- Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they start to brown. (They will be a little pale.) Brush hot biscuits with melted butter.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Cook sausage until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium. Melt butter and cook onions until softened and translucent, about 5 more minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, poultry seasoning, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Add flour mixture to butter and onion, cooking and stirring to make a roux, about 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk in cashew milk, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened. Stir in sausage. Add more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve over hot biscuits.
Makes 6-9 biscuits