Mushroom Pot Pie
- 1 recipe puff pastry, or frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 lb mushrooms, chopped (we used crimini, chanterelle, and the chef’s sampler package, a seasonal mix of different mushrooms)
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 large leek, tough greens removed, and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage, chiffonade
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 tsp rosemary leaves, minced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 Tbsp flour
- ¼ cup dry white wine (or broth)
- 1½ cup broth (mushroom, vegetable, or chicken broths all work well)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat (optional).
- In a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms until softened and reduced by half, about 5-8 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add a little more of the butter to the skillet. Cook the leeks until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add carrots and celery, cook for another 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Stir in fresh herbs, poultry seasoning, and flour. Cook and stir until flour is fully incorporated and has lost its raw smell, about 3 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine (or broth), scraping up any browned bits. Add 1½ cup broth, parmesan cheese, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Roll out pastry into a 12”-14” circle. Place over the skillet, allowing the dough to hang over the rim of the skillet a little. Cut 3 slits in the top with a sharp knife.
- Place the skillet on the prepared baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375°F and continue to bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 more minutes.