Like the cookies grandma used to make, these Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies are soft and tasty!
Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
- 1⁄2 cup butter or plant butter, room temperature (we used Melt plant butter)
- 1 cup unbleached wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 3⁄4 cup unrefined cane sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup homemade applesauce
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp cloves
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Mix in egg, applesauce, and vanilla until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Stir in to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix in oats, raisins, and walnuts until combined.
- Refrigerate dough for about 15 minutes to allow to firm up.
- Scoop dough by the tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes, or until cookies were set and edges are crispy.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before cooling on a rack.
- Peel, core, and chop five apples.
- Place in a medium saucepan with 1⁄2 cup water and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender.