By Catherine Dwelley
Makes 8 Shrimp Cakes
Pair with Domaine Delmas Passion Cuvée Cremant de Limoux
• ½ lb cooked salad shrimp
• ½ cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped
• 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
• 1 Tbsp lemon juice
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
• 1 egg
• ½ tsp red pepper flakes
• ½ tsp cayenne
• ¼ tsp black pepper
• ½ cup panko bread crumbs
• ¼ cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
• ½ cup organic cane sugar ¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
• ¼ cup coconut oil, for frying
• Lemon wedges, for serving
1. Place shrimp, bell pepper, ginger, lemon juice, garlic, egg, red pepper, cayenne, and black pepper in a blender. Pulse until ingredients some together into a thick paste.
2. In a small bowl, mix together panko, macadamia nuts, and coconut. Spread half of the breadcrumb mixture on a plate.
3. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to scoop the shrimp mixture onto the layer of breadcrumbs. Sprinkle more breadcrumbs on top, and gently flatten into patties.
4. Melt coconut oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Carefully transfer shrimp patties to the skillet and fry 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.