Chard and Mushroom Quiche
The secret to this delicious quiche recipe is in the crust. Cut the butter into cubes and place in the freezer for a perfect crust.
- 1 1/2 cup organic unbleached wheat flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 bunches chard, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- Mix together flour and kosher salt. Using a pastry cutter, blend in cold butter until the flour gathers into small pea-sized clumps. Beat the egg with the heavy cream and stir into the flour mixture. Gently form dough into a thick, even disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour, or overnight.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to a small bowl and set aside. Fry onions in the bacon grease until translucent and beginning to soften, about 7 minutes. Add wine, and cook until reduced, another 7-10 minutes. Add shallots and garlic, continue to cook until fragrant, another 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Mix in chard, cook until wilted and no liquid remains in the pan, about 10 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Mix eggs and cheese into the mushroom mixture.
- Roll out the crust and gently fit into the tart pan. Roll over with a rolling pin to trim the edges. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the chilled crust with foil and fill with pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove weights and foil. Brush crust all over with mustard and add filling.
- Bake in the 350°F preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden. Serve warm.
Feel free to omit the bacon and replace with 2 Tbsp butter for a vegetarian dish.
Makes a 9-inch tart