Cheesy Broccoli Braid
Try this delicious bread braid, featuring butter, broccoli, bacon, and cheddar cheesy goodness!
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 large broccoli crown, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp unbleached wheat flour
- ¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- Whisk together 1 1/4 cup flour and salt. With a pastry cutter, cut in the chilled butter until all flour is incorporated, with lumps the size of small peas.
- Make a well in the center and stir in ice water. A shaggy dough will form. Turn out dough onto a well floured surface.
- Pat into a rough square. With a floured rolling pin, roll into an approximate 12-inch rectangle. With a bench scraper, fold up the bottom third of dough toward the center, then fold the top third down toward the bottom (like folding a letter to fit in an envelope). Give the dough a quarter turn clockwise and repeat 7 or 8 times, adding a little flour if it is too sticky to start with. The dough will become easier to work as you go. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Fry bacon until crisp over medium heat. Remove from the skillet and drain all but 1 Tbsp of fat. Add onion and a pinch of salt to the skillet. Fry until golden and softened, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp flour, and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in broth. Continue cooking and stirring until thickened and bubbly, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese a little at a time, whisking constantly until smooth. Whisk in garlic, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add in broccoli mixture and bacon. Toss to coat.
- Roll out pastry to a 9×12-inch rectangle. Imagine that the pastry has 3 sections, each about 3 inches wide. Spoon broccoli mixture down the center section. Slice each side section into 8 strips. Fold the strips over the filling, working from top to bottom. Brush with egg wash. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the broccoli braid for 30-40 minutes, or until pastry is cooked through and golden. Serve hot.