Teriyaki Pork & Pineapple Skewers
- ½ cup mirin
- ½ cup pineapple or orange juice
- ¼ cup tamari
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tamari
- 1 ts smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 small pineapple, skin and core removed
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 yellow onion
- 4-6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 green onions
- ½ inch ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Drizzle olive oil
- In a small saucepan, whisk together mirin, pineapple juice, tamari, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Whisk into the teriyaki sauce. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Pat tenderloin dry. Cut into 1 ½-inch cubes. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper, paprika, tamari, and olive oil. Toss to coat and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Cut pineapple, bell pepper, and yellow onion into 1½-inch pieces.
- Once pork has marinated, load onto skewers with pineapple, bell pepper, and onion.
- Grill or broil on high for 10-15 minutes, brushing with teriyaki sauce and turning every 3-5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium. Cook green onions, ginger, and garlic for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in rice, 2 cups of water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Toss with a fork before serving.
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods