Fall brings an abundance of apples, and what better way to share the abundance than a big pan of apple crisp!
Sweet and tart apples topped with a buttery crunchy crumble and fresh
whipped cream make a delicious fall dessert—all without fiddling with
a pie crust! For those free spirits who hate measuring, apple crisp is
very forgiving. Use your favorite spices, or just cinnamon if you like. Be
adventurous with your apple selection, or stick with the classics— Granny
Smith and Golden Delicious. I used two Jonagolds, two Honey Crisps, two
Pink Pearls, and a Granny Smith.
- About 6 cups of apples, peeled, cored, and sliced to around a ¼” thick. (6-8 apples, depending on size)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, or gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted (or vegan butter alternative)
- 8 oz organic whipping cream
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish with butter or a little cooking spray.
- Mix together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl mix apples and lemon juice. Add sugar-spice mixture to the apples and toss to coat. Layer apples in the prepared baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, oats, flour and pecans, cinnamon and salt. Pour in melted butter and mix with your hands or a fork until mixture is evenly moistened and crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the apples.
- Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet with a bit of parchment paper. (You’ll be glad you did if it bubbles over!) Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until apples are cooked and the topping is golden. Allow to cool about 15 minutes before enjoying.
- While you are waiting for the crisp to bake and cool, distract yourself with homemade whipping cream! Place a metal bowl and beaters into the freezer for about 20 minutes to chill.
- After the bowl is chilled, add sugar, vanilla, and whipping cream. Beat on high for about 5-7 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.