Keep warm and attract friends with this classic Italian ham and cannellini bean soup. The aroma and flavor bring wonderful memories to all.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb cooked ham, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups cannellini beans, cooked and drained
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 6 quart Dutch oven. Sauté ham until browned. Remove from the pan, set aside.
- Sauté onion until just translucent. Add garlic, cook until just fragrant. Stir in carrots, celery, poultry seasoning, thyme, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Sauté until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, and ham. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes, to let all the flavors get to know each other. Add kale, simmer an additional 3-5 minutes or until tender. Serve hot with crusty bread. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings