Arugula Raab Pesto
- 1 bunch arugula raab
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, zested and cut in half
- 3 Tbsp-¼ cup olive oil, or more depending on preference
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz pasta, cooked to al dente
- Pluck leaves, buds, and flowers from the woody arugula stems, and give them a rough chop. Add smashed garlic to arugula, and continue to chop. Once the garlic is chopped, add almonds and keep chopping! Then add the parmesan and lemon zest, and chop that too. Once everything is very finely chopped, place it in a medium bowl.
- While chopping the pesto, fry bacon over medium heat. Flip the pieces after 3 minutes, and continue to fry until crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes longer. Drain on a paper or clean kitchen towel. Reserve 1 Tbsp of the bacon grease.
- Stir 2 Tbsp of the olive oil and the reserved bacon grease into the pesto. Squeeze in the juice of half the lemon, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Add more olive oil, until desired consistency is reached. Toss with the bacon and hot pasta.
Makes 4 Servings