- 2 Tbsp butter or vegan butter
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced (about 2 lbs)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 lbs)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or vegan cashew cream (Recipe Below)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook and stir leeks, celery and onion until softened, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in potatoes, fresh herbs, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool 20 minutes before blending either with an immersion blender or in a blender in batches.
- Return to the soup pot. Stir in heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
To freeze: Prepare the recipe through step 2. Freeze. To prepare, defrost soup and complete step 3. Enjoy!
LifeSource Deli Cashew Cream Sauce
Makes 2 cups
- 1 head garlic (about a ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp pepperoncini juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet or dish with foil.
- Remove loose skins from garlic head. Cut about ½-inch off of the top. Drizzle with olive oil, rubbing oil into the cut edges so it is well coated.
- Place garlic on the prepared baking sheet, and cover tightly with foil. Bake 30-40 minutes until cloves are soft and caramelized. Remove from skins with a fork or sharp knife. Set aside.
- Bring cashews to a boil with 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain, reserving liquid.
- Place softened cashews, roasted garlic, sea salt, pepperoncini juice, and ½ cup of the cashew liquid into a blender.
- Blend until completely smooth. Add more cashew liquid until desired consistency is reached. We found that 1 ½ cups of liquid was perfect for pasta or pizza sauce.
- Taste sauce, and adjust seasonings if desired.