Mini Apple Pies
- 1 lb apples, peeled, cored, and diced to ¼-inch pieces. (About 3 medium apples)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup organic cane sugar, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water, optional
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Mix together 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl mix apples and lemon juice. Add sugar-spice mixture to the apples and toss to coat. Let macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pie crust to ⅛-inch thick. Use a 3 ½-inch cookie cutter to cut 12 circles, re-rolling scraps as necessary.
- Grease a muffin pan with butter or a little cooking spray. Press each circle of dough into the muffin cups, being careful not to tear the dough. Fill with apple mixture. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. Bake mini pies for 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is tender. Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before removing pies.
- While pies are cooling, bring caramel sauce ingredients in a small saucepan to a simmer over medium heat. Stirring constantly, continue to cook until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve pies with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce.
Makes 12 servings