- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp Turbinado sugar
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 pkt (21/4 tsp) active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp butter or vegan butter, melted
- 4-5 cups organic unbleached wheat flour
- 10 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- Optional: 1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
- Kosher or coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, stir together 11/2 cups warm water, Turbinado sugar, 11/2 tsp sea salt, and active dry yeast. Allow to sit about 5-8 minutes, until yeast is foamy.
- Stir in butter. Mix in 4 cups of flour one cup at a time, stirring after each cup, until well combined. Use your hands and gently knead the dough if it gets too hard to stir. If dough is still very sticky, add the remaining flour a little at a time until the dough holds together and is only slightly tacky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and allow to rest about 20 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, preheat the oven to 450°F. Bring 10 cups water and 1/2 cup baking soda to a boil in a large pot. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 18-inch long rope, and twist into a pretzel shape, or cut into sticks or bites.
- Boil the pretzels one at a time in the baking soda water for 20 seconds, and remove with a slotted spatula to the baking sheet.
- Brush pretzels with egg wash, sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.