- 1 ½ cups unbleached white flour
- ½ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup granulated cane sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup almond milk mixed with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (to make vegan buttermilk)
- 2 Tbsp ground chia seeds, mixed with 6 Tbsp water (to make vegan eggs)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Coconut Pecan Frosting
- 1 (7.4 oz) can sweetened condensed coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch, whisked with a few Tbsp water
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, and a muffin pan with baking cups.
- Spread the pecans on the prepared baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Chop and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, cream together vegan butter and sugars until fluffy. Mix in vegan buttermilk, chia eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined, do not overmix. Batter will be thick.
- Fill each baking cup about ¾ of the way full. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, heat vegan butter, coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch slurry, and salt. Whisking constantly, bring to a low boil, continuing to whisk until thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pecans, coconut, and vanilla. Allow to cool before frosting cupcakes.
Cupcakes may be frozen up to 3 months.
Makes 12 cupcakes