- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 (12 oz) pkg smoked sausage or ham, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch collard greens, stemmed and chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 4 cups black eyed peas, cooked
- 1 ½ cups broth
- ½ tsp cayenne (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook sausage in 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat until browned on both sides. Remove from the skillet, set aside.
- Add onions, cooking and stirring until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add collards one handful at a time until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add kale, cook until wilted and bright green, another 3 minutes. Stir in cooked peas, broth, season to taste with cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cover. Cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until greens are tender and black eyed peas are heated through.
Tips for cooking dried beans:
Rinse and sort through beans, discarding any foreign matter, shriveled, or split beans. Cover with water (about 3 cups to 1 cup dry), give a quick stir and remove and discard any that float to the top. Allow to soak overnight. Drain and rinse.
Place beans in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Cover with about 1-inch water. Add 3 tsp salt, if desired. Bring to a boil, cover partially, and reduce heat to a simmer. Continue cooking another 45 minutes to 1 hour. (Cook time may be longer for old beans.) Drain and rinse. May be frozen up to 6 months.