Broiled Figs With Shortcake
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup demerara sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cream of tartar
- ¾ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 3/4 cup milk
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture forms coarse crumbs. It will look similar in texture to wet sand.
- Make a small well in the center, and pour in milk and yogurt. Toss with a fork until milk is incorporated. Gently knead 5 or 6 times until a soft dough forms. Add a little more flour if it is too wet.
- Scoop out ¼ cupfulls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Gently pat them to ½ inch thick. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Preheat the broiler on low for at least 5 minutes. Sprinkle cut figs with a little salt, and drizzle with honey. Broil for 5-10 minutes, or until tender and heated through.
- Serve with shortcake and cheese or whipped cream.