Made with vegan butter and vegan cheese, this classic French Onion Soup recipe offers warmth and savory satisfaction.
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 4 Tbsp vegan butter
- 2 lbs yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp unbleached wheat flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups mushroom broth
- 1 Tbsp pickapeppa sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme, bundled and tied with string or ¾ tsp dried
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Baguette, sliced
- Olive oil
- Vegan cheese (We used Violife Smoked Provolone)
- Melt butter in a six quart heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Stir in onions, until coated in butter. Cook until brown and caramelized, stirring every 5 minutes or so. This can take 30-40 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until softened and fragrant.
- Add flour. Cook and stir for about 10 minutes.
- Add in red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, mushroom broth, pickapeppa sauce, bay leaf, thyme, sea salt, and pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Taste the soup, adjust seasonings if desired. Spoon soup into broiler safe ramekins. Put on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush baguette slices with olive oil, float on top of the soup. Top with cheese. Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
No broiler safe ramekins? Not to worry! Preheat the oven to 450°F. Brush baguette slices with olive oil. Bake on a lined baking sheet for 5 minutes. Flip, and top with cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Spoon soup into bowls and top with toasted bread and cheese. Enjoy!