Creamy Chicken Chowder
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove bacon and leave the fat. Fry chicken in bacon fat until browned, about 5 minutes each side. Remove to a cutting board to rest.
- Add onion and leek to the pot. Cook and stir until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cooking and stirring until fragrant, about a minute. Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery, cooking until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic powder, poultry seasoning, black pepper, and bay leaf. Add wine, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Next add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Chop chicken breast into bite sized pieces. Add to the soup and cook for 5 minutes. Whisk flour into the half and half until smooth. Slowly pour into the soup, stirring continuously. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in frozen corn.
- Add shredded cheese a little at a time, stirring until melted and blended into the soup. Cook for another 5 minutes or until corn is cooked through.Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve with fresh parsley and crumbled bacon.