Shawarma Spiced Tofu Wrap
Shawarma Spiced Tofu
- 14 oz package tofu
- 2 Tbsp plain almond milk yogurt, we used Kite Hill
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ cup plain almond milk yogurt
- 1 lemon, zested and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1-2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Press tofu to draw out water. Drain tofu and give it a quick rinse. Place a clean, folded kitchen towel on a plate. Put tofu on top of the towel, and place another clean, folded towel on top of the tofu. Place a small cutting board on top, and something heavy, such as a cast iron skillet or large cookbook on top of that. Allow to sit at least a half hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Stir together pepper, salt, and spices in a small bowl. Slice pressed tofu into half inch cubes.
- Toss cubed tofu with 2 Tbsp almond milk yogurt, olive oil, and spices. Spread in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven, flipping after 12 minutes.
- While tofu is baking, make the yogurt sauce. In a small bowl mix together ¼ cup yogurt, lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon, garlic, dill, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve tofu on warm naan or pita with yogurt sauce and shirazi salad.
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods