- 5 pickling cucumbers
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp Mountain Rose pickling spice
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Slice the cucumbers ¼-inch thick. Thinly slice the onions. Toss veggies with kosher salt, and place in a colander. Allow to sit an hour, excess water will drain from the cucumber slices. Rinse salt thoroughly from the cucumbers and onions.
- In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, sugar, pickling spice, and pepper flakes to a low boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pack the cucumber and onion slices into a 16 oz jar with a tight fitting lid. Pour brine over cucumber slices, seal, and refrigerate at least overnight. Pickles will keep about 3 weeks in the fridge.
Serves 16 oz jar