- 12 pickling cucumbers, cut into spears
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp turbinado sugar
- 1 Tbsp pickling spice, we used Mountain Rose Herbs
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 pickling dill flower heads
- Toss cucumber spears with kosher salt. Place in a colander and allow to sit an hour, excess water will drain from the cucumber cucumbers. Rinse salt thoroughly from the cucumbers and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Bring vinegar, water, sugar, pickling spice, and red pepper flakes (if using) to a low boil in a small saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Pack cukes and dill flower heads into a 32 oz jar (or 2 16 oz jars) with a tight fitting lid. Pour brine over the veggies. Top with water to cover if necessary. Give pickles a good shake and refrigerate at least 24 hours before enjoying. Pickles will keep for about 3 weeks.
Serves 32 oz jar