Roasted Tomato Soup
Roasted Tomato Soup is a warm, comforting dish made with tomatoes that have been oven roasted to bring out their natural sweetness and depth of flavor. By roasting the tomatoes, the soup attains a rich, caramelized undertone that is further enhanced with ingredients like garlic, onions, and herbs. Blended to a smooth consistency, Roasted Tomato Soup can be finished with cream or milk for added richness. This classic soup is frequently paired with crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches, making it a favorite comfort food for many during cooler weather.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, quartered (we used a mix of heirlooms, slicers, and plum tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup Amontillado sherry
- 2 Tbsp concentrated tomato paste
- 1 tsp anchovy paste (or miso paste)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- ½ cup basil, minced
- 4 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silicone mat. Toss tomatoes in olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a large heavy bottomed pot to medium heat. Cook onions until they begin to soften and become slightly translucent. Add garlic, cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in sherry, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Allow to cook down until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add roasted tomatoes (seeds, skin, and all), tomato paste, anchovy paste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, carefully blend until smooth. Return to heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add basil and thyme, and cook for an additional ten minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
Makes 4 cups soup