- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz pkg andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 8 oz shiitake mushroom caps, chopped (Save stems for stock!)
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (14 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 6 quart Dutch oven. Sauté sausage until browned. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Sauté onion until just translucent. Add garlic, cook until just fragrant. Stir in carrots, celery, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Sauté until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, broth, tomato paste, sausage, and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer about ten minutes, or until kale is wilted and tender.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings