- 4 cups hot low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb hardshell clams
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ lb trumpet mushrooms, ¼-inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chiffonade
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, shopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- ½ lb bay shrimp
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat broth in a medium saucepan. Add hardshell clams and cook until open. Remove meat from the clams, mince, and set aside. Return clamshells to the broth. Simmer covered over low heat for 1 hour. Remove clamshells and return broth to low heat.
- Melt butter in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat (We used a six-quart dutch oven). Add onions to the butter with a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring frequently until golden, about 15 minutes. Turn down the heat if the onions begin to brown too quickly.
- Return to medium heat, and add mushrooms and garlic. Cook and stir until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add wine, cooking and stirring until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add rice and 1 cup of the hot broth, cooking and stirring constantly until the broth is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Continue stirring and adding broth ½ cup at a time, when the previous addition is absorbed.
- With the last addition of broth, add the fresh herbs, lemon pepper, lemon juice, zest, shrimp, minced clam meat, and cream. Cook and stir until rice is creamy and tender. Top with parmesan and serve.
Makes about 4 servings
Click to see more great ‘kitchen-tested’ recipes from LifeSource Natural Foods